A new school year has begun. I will be using a program called Fundations to teach some important basics of reading and spelling.
What is Fundations?
Fundations provides a systematic (follows a definite sequence and procedure for teaching) and explicit (leaves no room for guessing, teaches all concepts directly) approach to reading and spelling with phonics.
I look forward to a successful year using fundations. I'm looking forward to teaching and helping your child build a strong foundation for literacy.
- Letter formation associated with sounds
- Write manuscript letters in lower-case and upper-case
- Print knowledge and concepts of print: track left to right/top to bottom of the page/match spoken words to printed words
- Identify seperate words in an oral sentence;segment words into syllables;segment syllables into sounds (phonemes)-up to 3 sounds
- Phoneme substitution, deletion, addition, and manipulation activities done with letter cards and tiles to assist cognitive manipulation
- Isolate phonemes using tapping procedure for both blending and segmenting (segment phonemes in words; blend phonemes into words)
- Alphabetic order
- Know a-z /letter sound relationships (map letter to sound and sound to letter)
- Read and spell approximately 200 cvc words
- Read targeted high-frequency words: the, a, and, is, was
- Identify 75% of first 100 high frequency words, including 25-30 irregular (trick words) such as the, was, a, of
- Identify and name correct punctuation (period, question mark)
- Identify upper case use for beginning of sentences and names of people
- retell short narrative sentences
- Echo-read a short passage with correct phrasing and expression