FIRST® Lego League Coming Sept. 2019
Grade Breakdown & Informational Videos
FIRST® For Inspiration & Recognition of Science & Technology
Click on the Informational Videos:
- First LEGO League Jr. Discovery Grades Pre K - K Discovery
- First Lego League Jr Grades K-4 Challenge: BOOMTOWN BUILDSM
- Captures young curiosity by exploring real-world scientific challenges, learning teamwork, and working with motorized LEGO® elements
- First Lego League Grades 4-6 Challenge: CITY SHAPERSM
- Elementary and middle school-aged students research a real-world engineering challenge, develop a solution, and compete with LEGO-based robots of their own design
Accomplished inventor Dean Kamen founded FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) in 1989 to inspire an appreciation of science and technology in young people. Based in Manchester, N.H., FIRST designs accessible, innovative programs to build self-confidence, knowledge, and life skills while motivating young people to pursue opportunities in science, technology, and engineering. With support from over 200 of the Fortune 500 companies and more than $80 million in college scholarships, the not-for-profit organization hosts the FIRST® Robotics Competition for students in Grades 9-12; FIRST® Tech Challenge for Grades 7-12;FIRST®LEGO® League for Grades 4-8; and FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. for Grades K-4. Gracious Professionalism® is a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community. To learn more about FIRST, go to www.firstinspires.org.
2018-2019 News Update for Grades 3 - 6
One-to-one laptop Initiative
This year students will be using a MacBook Air in their classrooms. With a one-to-one laptop initiative, assignments can be differentiated or even individualized through the use of adaptive technology e.g. Khan Academy, IXL, SumDog or coding platform KidOYO (grades 4-6) that gets harder or easier based on previous student responses.
It is the responsibility of the 5th and 6th-grade parents to provide appropriate oversight for the use of the laptop at home. The laptop is to be used exclusively for school-related purposes.